By William Charles Evans
This encyclopedic reference paintings on pharmacognosy covers the examine of these normal components, largely vegetation, that discover a use in medication. Its acceptance and sturdiness stem from the book's stability among classical (crude and powdered medicinal drugs' characterization and exam) and glossy (phytochemistry and pharmacology) features of this department of technology, in addition to the editor's attractiveness in recent times of the turning out to be significance of complementary medications, together with natural, homeopathic and aromatherapy.
- No different booklet presents any such wealth of detail.
- A reservoir of data in a box the place there's a resurgence of curiosity - crops as a resource of gear are of becoming curiosity either in complementary medication fields and within the pharmaceutical of their look for new 'lead compounds'.
- Dr Evans has been linked to the ebook for over two decades and is a recognized authority in all components of the realm the place pharmacognosy is studied, his wisdom and grab of the subject material is unique.
- Meticulously referenced and stored modern by means of the editor, new members introduced in to hide new areas.
- New bankruptcy on 'Neuroceuticals'.
- Addition of many new compounds lately further to British Pharmacopoeia because of eu harmonisation.
- Considers improvement in criminal regulate and standardisation of plant fabrics formerly considered as 'herbal medicines'.
- More at the learn of security and efficacy of chinese language and Asian drugs.
- Quality regulate matters up to date based on most recent instructions (BP 2007).
Read or Download Trease and Evans’ Pharmacognosy PDF
Best alternative medicine books
A best-selling center textbook for clinical scholars taking scientific biochemistry, Marks' simple clinical Biochemistry hyperlinks biochemical options to body structure and pathophysiology, utilizing hypothetical sufferer vignettes to demonstrate middle suggestions. thoroughly up-to-date to incorporate full-color paintings, multiplied scientific notes, and bulleted end-of-chapter summaries, the revised 3rd version is helping clinical scholars comprehend the significance of the sufferer and bridges the space among biochemistry, body structure, and scientific care.
The second one version of this e-book is nearly a brand new e-book. it's the basically complete textual content at the safeguard of crucial oils, the 1st evaluation of crucial oil/drug interactions, and it provides special crucial oil constituent information now not present in the other textual content. a lot of the prevailing textual content has been re-written, and eighty% of the textual content is totally new.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Bodies, Therapies, Senses
- Seiki Jutsu: The Practice of Non-Subtle Energy Medicine
- Principles of Manual Sports Medicine
- Herbs of Grace: Becoming Independently Healthy
- Acupuncture: Efficacy, Safety and Practice
- An Introduction to Complementary Medicine
Additional resources for Trease and Evans’ Pharmacognosy
The Cannabinaceae or Cannabidaceae consists of the two genera Cannabis and Humulus comprising C. sativa (hemp), H. ) and H. japonica (Japanese hop). The chemistry of these plants is a justification for their separation from the Moraceae. ) are usually associated with warmer climates. 4. The Urticaceae has 45 genera and 550 species; tropical or temperate herbs or undershrubs without latex. g. g. Pilea, Boehmeria and Parietaria). ) are used in herbal medicine, often in combination with other species, for the treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia.
Shrubs and trees are particularly abundant in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Many species have been examined chemically, and the constituents reported include cyanogenetic compounds, alkaloids, tannins, leucoanthocyanins, arbutin and the sugar alcohol polygalitol. ), Grevillea, Persoonia, Hakea and Knightia. Santalales Olacaceae, Santalaceae, Loranthaceae The order contains seven families of which only four need be mentioned. The Olacaceae has about 27 genera and 250 species. Few have been examined chemically.
Members occur in the tropics and warm temperate zones, excluding Australia. Most are herbs or climbing shrubs. Oil-secreting cells occur throughout the family, often forming transparent dots on the leaves. ). Constituents of the family include alkaloids (aporphine and protoberberine), aristolochic acid, phenolic esters and ethers, volatile oils and flavonoids. Some species show tumour-inhibiting properties. Asarum europaeum, asarabacca root, was formerly used in European medicine. 27 5 28 5 the plant and animal kingdoms as sources of drugs Guttiferales Papaverales Paeoniaceae, Dipterocarpaceae, Theaceae, Guttiferae Of the 16 families in the order, only the four above need be noted.