By Carol A. Chapelle
This ground-breaking reference paintings, to be had on-line or as a 10-volume print set, is a accomplished source masking the hugely diversified box of utilized linguistics.
- Brings jointly ancient and rising parts of study inside utilized linguistics
- Combines person entries starting from 1,500 to 4,000 phrases, with longer, essay-style contributions giving a close review of key advancements and ideas
- contains over 1,100 entries written by means of a world crew of students from over forty countries
- Covers 27 key parts of the sphere, together with Language studying and educating, Bilingual and Multilingual schooling, overview and checking out, Corpus Linguistics, dialog research, Discourse, Cognitive moment Language Acquisition, Language coverage and making plans, Literacy, and know-how and Language
- good points over two hundred entries at the philosophy and historical past of utilized linguistics and biographies of key utilized linguists
- perfect for college students, lecturers, researchers, and practitioners within the interdisciplinary box of utilized linguistics
Read Online or Download The encyclopedia of applied linguistics PDF
Similar encyclopedias books
The Routledge Encyclopedia of flicks includes 2 hundred essays by means of best movie students analysing crucial, influential, cutting edge and engaging movies of all time. prepared alphabetically, each one access explores why each one movie is critical should you examine movie and explores the social, historic and political contexts within which the movie used to be produced.
Designed to satisfy the wishes of scholars in Earth technology on the highschool and undergraduate degrees, those 8 volumes signify a revised and seriously up-to-date version of Salem Press's five-volume Earth technological know-how of 2001. Now greater than ten years later, the up to date version will supply scholars with in actual fact defined info at the most vital and commonly mentioned concerns when it comes to Earth technology.
There isn't any denying that race is a severe factor in figuring out the South. in spite of the fact that, this concluding quantity of the recent Encyclopedia of Southern tradition demanding situations earlier understandings, revealing the region's wealthy, ever-expanding variety and supplying new explorations of race family. In 36 thematic and 29 topical essays, individuals learn such matters because the Tuskegee Syphilis research, jap American incarceration within the South, family among African american citizens and local americans, chinese language males adopting Mexican identities, Latino non secular practices, and Vietnamese existence within the quarter.
- Concise encyclopedia of high performance silicones
- Encyclopedia of Ancient Christianity
- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology Vol 7
- The Human Rights Encyclopedia
Extra info for The encyclopedia of applied linguistics
Entries include descriptions of the knowledge pertaining to the formal study of an additional language—one that is developed after the home language. The problem of learning nonprimary languages is a challenge for people worldwide, who tackle it for a wide variety of reasons. Area editor Lourdes Ortega defined the entries in this area to include research aimed at better understanding of both learning (from the student’s perspective) and teaching (from the teacher’s perspective). Whereas language learning and teaching are concerned with language study, the entries in the bilingual and multilingual education area cover issues concerning the use of two or more languages for instruction across subject areas.
Creating Areas The Encyclopedia is composed of 27 topic areas, each of which was developed by an area editor or area editors with the appropriate expertise to identify the specific topics and perspectives relevant to applied linguists. Throughout these topic areas, the entries reflect domains of language problems and practice in the following: (a) education, including second/foreign-language education and language issues as they pertain to learning school subjects; (b) society; (c) professions; (d) government, politics, and law.
Her primary research focus has been the global spread of English, its use as an international language, and its implications for pedagogy. Her work has appeared in leading journals including World Englishes, TESOL Quarterly, and Written Communication, as well as in a number of edited collections. Kim McDonough is associate professor and Canada Research Chair in Applied Linguistics at Concordia University, Canada. Her work on second language acquisition has appeared in Studies in Second Language Acquisition, Language Learning, and The Modern Language Journal.