By Jan Goldman Ph.D.
The significant Intelligence organization is vital within the struggle to maintain the United States secure from overseas assaults. This two-volume paintings strains via evidence and records the background of the CIA, from the folk concerned to the operations carried out for nationwide security.
• Covers the heritage of the CIA from its days sooner than global battle II, while it used to be often called the place of work of Strategic providers (OSS), providing finished, aim info in a handy prepared reference
• offers files previously categorized as "top mystery" and an intensive bibliography to permit extra examine by way of students
• contains contributions from approximately dozen specialists of their box of research, starting from a psychologist describing CIA "mind experiments" to former practitioners and historians writing on covert operations throughout the chilly struggle
• offers fundamental records equivalent to the oldest previously categorised rfile held via the CIA (how to make invisible ink, 1918) and intelligence studies that Osama bin weighted down was once making plans to assault the USA (2001)
Read or Download The Central Intelligence Agency [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Covert Ops, Intelligence Gathering, and Spies PDF
Similar encyclopedias books
The Routledge Encyclopedia of movies contains 2 hundred essays via top movie students analysing crucial, influential, cutting edge and engaging motion pictures of all time. prepared alphabetically, each one access explores why each one movie is critical when you examine movie and explores the social, old and political contexts within which the movie was once produced.
Designed to satisfy the desires of scholars in Earth technology on the highschool and undergraduate degrees, those 8 volumes symbolize a revised and seriously up-to-date variation of Salem Press's five-volume Earth technology of 2001. Now greater than ten years later, the up-to-date version will offer scholars with essentially defined details at the most vital and commonly mentioned concerns when it comes to Earth technology.
There isn't any denying that race is a serious factor in figuring out the South. even if, this concluding quantity of the recent Encyclopedia of Southern tradition demanding situations prior understandings, revealing the region's wealthy, ever-expanding range and offering new explorations of race kinfolk. In 36 thematic and 29 topical essays, participants study such topics because the Tuskegee Syphilis learn, eastern American incarceration within the South, family members among African americans and local americans, chinese language males adopting Mexican identities, Latino spiritual practices, and Vietnamese existence within the quarter.
- Encyclopedia of Women in the American West
- Encyclopedia of Ecology and Environmental Management
- Influence: Gaining Commitment, Getting Results (Ideas Into Action Guidebooks)
- New Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 5: Ead-Fre
Additional info for The Central Intelligence Agency [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Covert Ops, Intelligence Gathering, and Spies
December 4 The New York Times reports that the White House has authorized the CIA to expand the use of unmanned aerial drones in Pakistan to track down and strike suspected Taliban and Al Qaeda members. December 30 In Afghanistan, eight CIA employees and a Jordanian intelligence officer are killed when a suicide attack occurs at a CIA base at the edge of Khost Province, an area near the border with Pakistan that xxxiv | Timeline of Central Intelligence Agency and Intelligence Activities, 1939–2015 is a hotbed of insurgent activity.
Government began funneling modest financial support to Daud’s regime, nearly all of which was covert in nature. S. State Department, worked behind the scenes to direct financial resources to the Afghan government. After Daud was ousted by Afghan communists (who were loosely allied with the Soviets) in April 1978, the CIA began to focus more attention on Afghanistan in hopes of thwarting a complete Soviet takeover of that country. During late 1978 and into 1979, the CIA conducted a broad overview of Afghanistan’s internal affairs.
In February 1974 a cease-fire agreement was signed, leading to the formation of a coalition government for Laos. On June 3, the last Air America aircraft crossed the border from Laos into Thailand. We grieve for those missing and dead Vietnamese refugees sit aboard an Air America aircraft, the CIA’s charter airline, as it carries more than 100 refugees from Nhatrang to Saigon on March 30, 1975. ” The war had cost the lives of 97 crew members lost as a result of enemy action and operational accidents.