By J. Gordon Melton
This enormous, four-volume reference overviews major occasions and advancements in spiritual background over the process greater than 5 millennia.
• offers attention-grabbing sidebars to entries on such themes as monotheism and the matter of evil, the development of the Egyptian pyramids, Mesoamerican mythology, the legacy of Charlemagne, the lives of varied spiritual thinkers and leaders, the Hundred Years' battle, the indigenous religions of South Africa, the second one nice Awakening, Potala Palace in Tibet, and lots of others
• bargains a sweeping chronological presentation of religion and faith over 5 millennia that permits readers to determine the connections among old occasions and the evolution of varied trust systems
• comprises an intensive collection of photographs that is helping readers visualize a few of the subject matters mentioned within the text
Read or Download Faiths across Time [4 volumes]: 5,000 Years of Religious History PDF
Similar encyclopedias books
The Routledge Encyclopedia of flicks contains 2 hundred essays by means of major movie students analysing crucial, influential, cutting edge and engaging movies of all time. prepared alphabetically, each one access explores why every one movie is important should you learn movie and explores the social, old and political contexts during which the movie was once produced.
Designed to fulfill the wishes of scholars in Earth technological know-how on the highschool and undergraduate degrees, those 8 volumes signify a revised and seriously up-to-date variation of Salem Press's five-volume Earth technological know-how of 2001. Now greater than ten years later, the up-to-date version will supply scholars with in actual fact defined info at the most crucial and largely mentioned concerns in terms of Earth technology.
There is not any denying that race is a serious factor in knowing the South. even if, this concluding quantity of the hot Encyclopedia of Southern tradition demanding situations earlier understandings, revealing the region's wealthy, ever-expanding range and supplying new explorations of race family. In 36 thematic and 29 topical essays, participants research such topics because the Tuskegee Syphilis learn, eastern American incarceration within the South, relatives among African americans and local american citizens, chinese language males adopting Mexican identities, Latino non secular practices, and Vietnamese existence within the quarter.
- Encyclopedia of Russian History
- Encyclopedia of Conflict Resolution
- Encyclopedia of Rural America
- Ancient Mesopotamia (Greenhaven Encyclopedia)
- Encyclopedia of Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
Extra info for Faiths across Time [4 volumes]: 5,000 Years of Religious History
Current theory suggests that the eruption, which would have caused havoc over a wide area of the Mediterranean Sea, occurred between 1627 and 1600—too early to directly cause the fall of Minoan civilization. ABC-CLIO of Crete, and the Cycladic culture of the Cyclades Islands (in the Aegean Sea). 2697 BCE East and Southeast Asia: China Chinese Religions The traditional date marking the beginning of the rule of Huangdi, most popularly known as the Yellow Emperor, during the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors Era of Chinese culture.
2150 BCE Southwest Asia and North Africa: Egypt Traditional Religions The decline of the Sixth Dynasty eventually leads to the First Intermediate Period, dating from 2130 to 1938 BCE. The weakened central authority that became evident at the end of Pepi II’s rule and more clearly manifest in the brief reigns of his two successors, Merenre II (2152 BCE) and Netjerkare Siptah (r. 2152–2150 BCE), gives birth to a division of Egypt into several rival kingdoms (ruled by the pharaohs 34 2141 BCE of dynasties 8–10).
Between 2600 and 2500 BCE, a great social change occurred. Urban centers that had not existed before came into being. The people survived on a mixed agricultural economy. They grew barley and wheat, with possible evidence of rice cultivation as well. They also cultivated chickpeas and field peas. The fruits and seeds of various wild plants were also gathered, including grapes and jujube. Some of the earliest known use of cotton dates to the Indus River valley civilization as well. In addition, the people of the Indus River valley raised a species of humpbacked cattle.